Friday, July 20, 2012

Wlat Dnesiy Smeumr Pcrjoet (It's all out of whack. That's life, kid. Ees not so bad a thing.)


Fifty-eight other college students from around the nation and I have been on a summer project with Campus Crusade for Christ at Walt Disney World for the past seven weeks.  People frequently ask what the purpose of this project is and how I could feel morally okay with the fact that I’m asking for money from people to work at Walt Disney World for the summer.  In the simplest form, the purpose of this project is to spread the Gospel to people who don’t know or believe it.  The term, “The Gospel” gets thrown around thoughtlessly sometimes.  The Gospel that I am trying to present to my coworkers here in Walt Disney World is that God loves us each personally so much that he would send his son, Jesus, to die for us so that we would not be separated from Him forever because of our sins.  He’s saved us because he loves us and I know that prior to this project I took that for granted. 
There is a thriving college program that works with Disney World that is not associated with Campus Crusade for Christ.  This is huge group of students/Disney World cast members who are comprised of young people from many nations all over the world.  This project is geared very much towards the international college students that come to the United States to work at Walt Disney World. 
I work in the Outdoor Foods department in the Magic Kingdom.  Some of my coworkers are from France, Haiti, Morocco, Puerto Rico, Turkey, China, and Australia.  Over the last seven weeks I have had the opportunity to share how God has changed my life with His eternal love and grace.  I recognize how cliché that may sound, but we as Americans are spiritually spoiled with how accessible the truth of the Gospel is to us.  This is knowledge that we have no right in hoarding.      
God is alive, well, and working.  Before this project, I thought of him largely as a dormant volcano or a sleeping giant, but this is not who God is.  I have woken up to the reality that God is at work and the harvest is absolutely plentiful.  What has surprised me the most so far on this trip is how hungry people are for God.  They don’t even know this until you lay out to them who God is and what He does/has done in your life.  But they desire this much more than I had anticipated.  They are not at all in need of religion or rules or a new mask to put on.  They need who God is.  I need who God is.  It’s this beautiful, reality-shifting realization that I get the privilege of being a part of in other people’s lives here at Walt Disney World.  

No comments:

Post a Comment